Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Blog # 9 (Rewritten to address the concerns raised by comments I received on my original post)

What can we learn from Mrs. Cassidy?
Technology
I watched 4 different videos on YouTube that Dr. Strange interviewed a First Grade teacher Kathy Cassidy. I learned a lot from Kathy, one thing that Kathy talked about was technology and how it was taking over the education system and that not a lot of classrooms use pen and paper anymore. I think that the kids who are in school now know more about the technology world then the teachers would. As for teachers now their teaching methods and materials are changing at a rapid pace. Kids during the 21st century have more understanding and more knowledgeable with the new technology. Blogging is one of the most educational things for kids to write on and type their what they want too. The kids like to write on their blogs and they get really excited when someone responds to the blogs. As one of the students in the first video says "NEVER EVER say bad stuff, you might hurt someones feelings." When young kids have a blog of their own you only want to put your first name NEVER your last name!! In my own opinion I think putting your first and your last there is a better chance that someone could find more information about you. But with only your first name provided its a wider variety of getting more information on that person. Also in the video it talks about the kids looking things up on the internet.
 Internet logo
Another popular thing in the education system is Wiki's, I think a Wiki is a kid-friendly internet system where kids can look up information that is appropriate for their learning and education. Also their are many different things to use the Wiki on for example rituals, alphabet and even traditions in different families. My personal favorite technology based learning is Skype which in the classroom can be used for many different things. I think that skype can be used for communicating with people from other places like classrooms, overseas or from room to room. I also learned about how to use technology in schools education systems. In the video, Dr. Strange interviews Kathy Cassidy on the use of technology in her room and what programs she uses and how long she has used them. Facebook is also a popular online communicative program that the 21st century kids have to communicate with friends and family. Overall I thought that the interview between Dr. Strange and Kathy Cassidy was very helpful with her perspective on how she uses technology in her classroom and also how her students use it.

3 comments:

  1. Leanna,

    Well, I don't have to watch the videos now -- you have told me what was on them! I would rather know what you think about what is on the videos. It would make it more interesting than this summary you have given.

    I know this took a lot of work, but it isn't making me want to watch the videos for myself.

    Try to make your blog less summation and more thought provoking. Tell us what you think and why you thought it. That would make me want to watch this. I know you are capable.

    You might wan't to go back and look at what you have done. I know this took a lot of time, but read it as if you didn't know what was on the videos, Did you say anything that would make you want to go view the interviews?

    Just a thought...

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know if you were aware but the assignment was to explain what you have learned from Mrs. Cassidy and which techniques do you plan use from her. However, you did a great summary on all the interview videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be sure to add your reflection on the videos you watched and answer the driving question Dr. Strange has asked.

    Also, if you are directly quoting something, you must use quotation marks. There are several instances in this blog post you did not use quotation marks. Please go back and fix this.

    It would be helpful to the reader to provide links to the actual videos or sites you referenced in the blog post and not just YouTube in general.

    ReplyDelete